10 questions with Anne Magratten








          Art pieces by Anne Magratten


Through various buildings within the campus, you can find work done by many people, some of those even being students. Art and creativity are very large and important factors within our society, and colleges are no different. Although we may not be able to physically walk through the halls and see all the art that LBCC has to offer this term, the creative spirit of LBCC is living on in different ways.

Anne Magratten is a visual arts instructor here at LBCC. Some of the classes she teaches are various drawing classes, painting and basic design. She is also involved in several other things on campus such as overseeing the art gallery and being a co adviser for the Gender and Sexuality Alliance. She sometimes is an adviser for the Film Club as well. Not only does her passion for art show through her classes, she paints and is involved artistically outside of her job as well.

Our way of learning and teaching has majorly changed this term. How has this impacted the way you teach your classes?

Before this term, I had never offered an online class. Studio classes are really rooted in hands-on learning and face-to-face feedback. It was a monumental adjustment for me. I have been making lectures, demos, and slideshows but it feels really surreal to just post them online rather than share them in person. I feel really proud of my student artists, they are producing strong work even with many obstacles.

What adjustments did you have to make yourself this term and what struggles have you faced with it?
I spend way more time with my computer. I have been teaching myself very basic video editing. I'm forced to see and hear myself in recordings which is humbling and funny. I had no idea how I would talk while drawing or painting. It turns out that I sound rather soothing but it is hard to hear yourself breathing and not feel deeply self conscious.

What has inspired you to teach and go into the field of art?

I have drawn and painted all my life. It brings me an authentic fulfillment I can't find anywhere else. I love that it challenges me to appreciate new things, allows me to build my own value system, and solve complex problems.

What significant things have you learned from your students through your time teaching?

I learn things from my students every day. I am inspired by their resilience in the face of adversity, their dedication, and their willingness to take risks while learning. My students make remarkably brave work that addresses their personal experiences, struggles, and identity. Sometimes they take on big social issues like racism, sexism, and I see them advocating for change in their work!

What have been hobbies and activities that you have been doing to help you get through these rough times?
I take really long walks. For a while, I kept visiting a tulip field by my house. When I walk, it feels like the anxiety is being pressed out of my body and I am renewed.

What led you to or inspired you to go into teaching at LBCC?
I started my education at Mendocino Community College. I wanted to go immediately to a four year art school but even with scholarships it would have left me with enormous debt. The quality of courses and instruction were stellar and I was able to work while I studied. I was so glad that I started at a community college, I vowed I would become an art instructor and try to pass along the gift I had received.

What kinds of art have you always been the most drawn to? Is there any reason for that?
I have immense love and respect for all types of art but for me there is something very special about painting. When I see a painting, it is like the work is speaking directly to me. I'm also a fiend for handmade artists books.

How does your own work outside class differ from the work you teach and focus on in your classes?
I am striving to introduce my students to a really wide range of artistic voices and ways of working. My recent work has been about revitalizing still life paintings, making them modern, and painting from a queer / feminist perspective. The work focuses on sexuality and reproduction but I don't expect my students to address these issues. (I've attached a few paintings for you to see). I paint portraits, landscapes, still life, and abstractions. I don't want to limit myself from exploration. I always talk with my students a little about my process but I want to leave them open to decide what concepts are important to their work.

 What media or form of art is your favorite to focus on in your teaching?
Whatever class I am standing in front of, I find myself telling them that (Drawing I, Drawing II, Figure Drawing, Basic Design, and Painting I) is my favorite course to teach. While this is funny, I feel deeply fortunate.

 What other things are you involved in through LBCC besides just being an art teacher and what made you want to be a part of it?
I oversee the art gallery co-curricular program. This means each year I get to mentor student gallery coordinators as they learn about curation and gallery management. We set up all the art shows in North Santiam Gallery, South Santiam Gallery, and the Calapooia Gallery and have artist talks. It is amazing fun to be at the center of all that artwork.

I am also one of two co-advisors for the Gender and Sexuality Alliance. It allows me to be part of and serve the queer community!

Additionally, I am the advisor for the LB Film Club. They make awesome films and while this isn't my specialty I have learned a lot from them. Both clubs are a little sleepy this term. I hope we can reinvigorate them!











AT A GLANCE:


Anne Magratten

Occupation: LBCC Visual Arts Instructor

Education: Mendocino Community College, BA at Mills College, MFA at University of Oregon

Classes: Visual Arts, Drawing I, Drawing II, Figure Drawing, Basic Design, Painting

Other Tasks: Oversee the art gallery, advisor for Film Club, co-advisor for Gender and Sexuality Alliance

Interests: drawing, painting, long walks

Contact: magrata@linnbenton.edu

(541) 917- 4545

Office: SSH-116A or SSH 209

Mon. 8a.m. to 9a.m.

Wed. 8a.m. to 9a.m.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Life During The Pandemic

Addario Book Report

Photographer of the Week: Tyler Hicks