Covid-19: It's not just affecting physical health



Losing track of the days and time, forgetfulness and the empty feeling that you sometimes wake up with in your heart. That’s just a small glimpse into the struggles of those with depression, which includes myself.

As much as I am an introvert, I can admit, I need people. Whether that’s my friends, my parents or my boyfriend.

People are what help me stay positive, they give me something to live for and try hard for. This pandemic has made it hard in that sense. I haven’t seen my friends or my significant other for over a month.

You would really think this pandemic is an introvert's dream! No plans, stuck at home, and away from everyone. Weirdly enough, this isn’t my experience. If anything, I feel like I may become the most extroverted “let’s go do something” type of person the instant this is all over.

My mom is in healthcare as an at-home worker for seniors, and in a time like this, it’s scary for her. I can see her pacing and stressing internally at the thought of having to go grocery shopping.

She is afraid of somehow contracting this virus and giving it to one of the elders she works for, including one who already has lung issues. Not only can she not stay home during this pandemic, she has to do their shopping and ours, and go see them daily.

My mom has always been someone I have a special connection with, so seeing her like this is hard as well.

Despite the case numbers being small in Lebanon, I can’t risk even going to my friend or boyfriend’s house. I can’t take any chance of contracting something and bringing it back home to my mom who works for seniors, which we all know, are the people most vulnerable to Covid-19.

I know it’s also hard on my boyfriend, Skyler, and our relationship. From the moment we began dating, it became a constant routine that I would find time to see him twice a week.

Strictly texting and calling for this long is a new experience for us both. It seems like almost every day he will ask, “Is there any way you could even drop by for a second?” or “When does the stay-at-home order end again?”

He is quite different from me, as he is the biggest extrovert I know. He needs the physical company and reassurance of others more than I.

He doesn’t like to talk about how this has been affecting him much. I have a feeling he would rather just deny it and worry about everyone around him more instead. As much as he doesn’t speak on it, I can tell it’s affecting his mental state as well.

Some nights he won’t sleep at all, while other nights I won’t get the first message of the day from him until 2 p.m.

My dad has some stress from this all as well. Not only is he constantly worried that his workplace could shut down at any moment, but his parents -- my grandparents -- and my aunt were in the process of moving when this pandemic began.

My aunt, Fancee, was not a lot of help with this at all, as she isn't the type to thoroughly plan. My dad came home from long work shifts only to drop everything the moment he got home or give up his entire weekend doing the things she got behind on for weeks.

He then headed to Corvallis to help, along with me and my younger sister tagging along -- all wearing our masks each time we entered the house.

My grandparents are in their 80’s and 90’s, so it was a risk each time we headed out to the house. Unfortunately, we had no choice.

Work was put off for weeks with them only having until April 1 to be moved into the new house in Albany. We were able to finish and successfully get them moved in, though, thanks to the help of my other aunts and uncles.

This pandemic isn’t only putting physical health at risk, it’s putting mental states at risk as well. Walking with my dog, taking care of my pets and playing online games with friends are a few things I do to cope, though.

We are in an uncertain time right now, but I still have hope for things to start turning around. Until then, I'll be playing “Animal Crossing” and checking in on loved ones.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Life During The Pandemic

Addario Book Report

Photographer of the Week: Tyler Hicks